Tuesday, November 20, 2007

The Secret Shower


My company has a secret...shower, that is. In the ladies restroom there is a door. For the past six months (since I started here) I assumed it was a supply closet. Little did I know, it is a shower. A small, doorless, curtainless, shower with a wooden bench next to it.

The other day I think someone was hiding in there.

I was minding my own business, using the restroom, when I heard someone walk in. Now, there are only two stalls in the ladies room. If someone walks in, you can hear them walking around and see their feet if they go into the neighboring stall. The phantom person who entered the restroom did not go into the neighboring stall as is standard procedure, but walked up to what I thought was the supply closet and opened it. I flushed, thinking to myself, "Hm, we must be out of paper towels in the employee lounge". I walked out of the stall and saw that there was no one else in the room and the "supply closet" door was closed. I just assumed the person had gotten what they needed and rushed out. I washed up and left the restroom.

Later that day I decided I wanted to see what kind of supplies the "supply closet" in the bathroom held. Dear me, I discovered it did not hold supplies, but a grungy shower. And then I started thinking...

If a person came into the bathroom, they may not have known I was in there. Maybe their final destination really was the secret shower. It could have been their plan all along...because who would walk in, open the secret shower door, and then leave, which is what I thought the person was doing when I still thought it was a supply closet. If it really was a supply closet, then walking in, grabbing something, then leaving would make sense. Since it is a SECRET SHOWER, a person coming in there to hide makes perfect sense. In my head, this person is lonely, and was probably eating lunch in there...or a twinkie. Or they just like hanging out in showers. Or they were hiding. Maybe there is an ongoing game of office hide-and-seek that I am not aware of.

2 comments:

I-66 said...

Can't fault someone for wanting to use the shower.

Hydration, after all, is...

Karena said...

that is a place where some... do things that are private....