Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Holy Toledo, Batman! It can fly!

I've been trying to get into biking since there are so many amazing bike trails in and around DC. It all started with StuD, really, who once biked from College Park to Alexandria because he had just started the whole biking thing and wanted to prove he could do it. He got lost in what he claims was the “ghetto” (hell, it probably was), ended up taking his bike on the metro to the Metro Center stop, and biked the rest of the way to my house. To all the serious bikers out there, this might not seem like a big deal, but StuD is fairly new to DC city biking, and plus, he’s the most ridiculous person I know, besides myself. So I had a good laugh when he told me he was biking from College Park to Alexandria.

For your reference:





Anyways, now I want a bike. And I’m getting one. My father is giving me his old bike, which is quite nice. The only problem I had was how to get it from Ohio to DC. I had several options for this: get the bike the next time I drove to Ohio (driving 8 hours, blegh), have it shipped to me, or pack it up and take it with me on the plane after my trip home for Thanksgiving. After doing some research on washcycle (great for all DC biking queries), I found it’s quite easy to pack a bike for shipping and flying purposes. And, on Southwest, they won’t charge you as long as it fits within their weight and size requirements. This is just another reason why I adore Southwest Airlines.

2 comments:

I-66 said...

You could always book a 1-way ticket home and then ride the bike back here.

BrokeInDC said...

I-66: ha yeah, I can hardly bike the Mt. Vernon trail, let alone 450 miles from Ohio to NoVa