Monday, December 3, 2007

Voicemail from...?


So this morning I rolled into work, ready to start the week, and noticed the little red light on the phone in my luxuriously spacious cube was blinking. Egads, I had a voice mail. (And by luxuriously spacious I mean uncomfortably cramped)

But who would be calling me over the weekend and leaving me a message on my work phone? What could this person possibly want? A favor, a sales call...for heaven's sake who was calling me?

It was Melisse...and she wanted to come over to play with my boys and spend the night. At least that's what the message said.

Now, I do not know who Melisse is, nor how old she is. She sounded about 6 or 7 to me. She had a very quiet babyish voice, and I could hear her mother in the background helping her through the message. Too bad her deficient mother neglected to make sure she dialed the correct number.

I also do not have any boys, or ANY children for that matter, for Melisse to play with as she requested. I especially do not want her to come spend the night.

The message went like this (as soon as I heard it I replayed it so I could type it down word for word):

Little girl's voice: Hey can you pick me up so I can play with your boys and stay the night.

Mom whispering to little girl in the background:
Who are you?

Little girl's voice:
I'm Melisse. Its Melisse, and I want to play with your boys and come over to sleep **long pause** to come over and sleep. Bye. click.


After listening to the message, I looked around confused as if the message would have been directed at another person in my office. Surely Melisse was not calling me.

Unfortunately I had turned off my phone manager over the weekend, so I was unable to check the number to call Melisse back to tell her: No, I will not pick you up; and No, you cannot play with my boys; and No, you cannot come spend the night. I would then ask to speak with her mother, and tell to teach Melisse how to correctly dial a telephone.

Actually no, I hope I hear from Melisse again. It made my Monday that much more interesting.

1 comment:

I-66 said...

Most important unanswered question: What the hell kind of name is Melisse?