Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Cereal Girl


Drumroll please...



Sistah girl has decided to grace my blog with her presence by writing a guest post. She told me this story the other day, and I knew I had to have her write a post about it.



Enjoy.


Last Friday I was in the midst of a long day in an attempt to finish xmas shopping. I realized that I was really hungry so I ventured into Panera to satisfy my belly. When I walked, in I noticed that it was extremely busy and immediately began to scan the restaurant for an open seat. In one of the far discarded corners of the room a girl was sitting at a table by herself and appearing to be enjoying what I thought was a bagel. All of the tables surrounding her were empty, so I thought to myself "That looks like a nice quiet girl, I will sit close to her b/c I'm by myself too".

So after I got my soup and sandwich I wandered over to the corner and seated myself at a table. I noticed as I walked by her and sat down, the girl didn't even look up. She appeared to be too engrossed in the magazine she was reading. After a few minutes of sitting and enjoying my chipotle chicken sandwich (which was quite tasty) I decided I would look at my neighbor and give her a friendly smile, but once I got a closer look I realized that she wasn't eating a bagel....she was eating cereal straight out of the box with her hands.

I continued to survey her and her belongings noticed that she had multiple boxes of opened cereal that she had apparently been eating. I say this because each box was torn open as if she just couldn't wait one second longer and didn't see the point in opening the box the proper way. She also had an enourmous duffle bag and an empty grocery bag from Trader Joe's (which was where I'm assuming she purchased her cereal). She was just sitting there at a table in Panera, blatantly stuffing handfuls of organic cereal from Trader Joe's into her mouth and intently reading a fashion magazine.

I sat at the table next to her for 20 minutes and watched her, she NEVER once looked up and noticed me staring at her. For the 20 minites I was there she picked up each box and shoved several large handfuls of cereal into her mouth. It appeared that she had been sitting there awhile too, because the floor around her was covered in cereal crumbs and she had an empty bottle of water sitting on the table. She hadn't even purchased anything from Panera! She simply went to the grocery store down the street, bought a few boxes of organic cereal, a magazine and decided to then go to Panera and enjoy her purchases.

At one point she got up to go to the bathroom and as she walked away with her cheeks stuffed with cereal (she looked like a chipmunk), she kept wiping cereal reminants off of her face and clothes. I sooo wished that someone had been there with me to see this, it was very bizarre.

-Sistah Girl





No comments: