Wednesday, October 31, 2007

EVERYONE WE KNOW is just giving out candy?



Happy Halloween to all. My blog title today is courtesy of Jerry Seinfeld, from his stand-up routine. Hilarious.

Everyone and their mother is probably blogging about Halloween today, but it’s my blog, and I do what I want.

I’m looking forward to handing out candy this evening to all the kiddies. I sound like a total creep, but I’ve never handed out candy to kids before, and it will be fun to see all their costumes. I grew up in Ohio in a rural area, and we never had any kids coming to our house to collect candy. My sister and I would always have to go “in to town” to go trick-or-treating.

I remember in Elementary school we were all supposed to dress up for Halloween during the school day. We would then parade around town in our costumes in the middle of the day for all the townsfolk to admire us. Grades 1-6; cheesy costumes, elaborate costumes, and costumes that the parents obviously threw together that morning so their kid would not feel like a loser. All marching down the streets of Woodville, Ohio. It was kind of weird, now that I think about it. Traipsing around town once for trick-or-treating is enough. I mean, we didn’t even get any candy for that stupid Halloween march. The only people who actually cared about the school’s daytime Halloween procession were the parents of the kids who lived on the three-block radius that we walked.

My sister and I always had pretty cool costumes. Ask my sister about her “Debil” costume. There is an embarrassing home video (I won’t go into too much detail) of my sister and I playing in our Halloween costumes when we were about 5 and 6 years old. I had on a magnificent pink cape. I was probably a princess or something, I don’t even remember. And Sistah had on her “Debil” costume, which eventually became too hot. She promptly discarded it. Apparently she did not like to wear undergarments under her costumes. My loving parents got this all on video. Thank goodness we were done trick-or-treating. I can just imagine her standing on someone’s front porch, making some comment about being “too hot” and dropping trou.

No comments: